Terms of Reference
The Strategy Working Group (SWG) will prepare a high-level strategy for a new, merged organization. This 5-10 page document should:
- Articulate an overall niche and purpose (vision and mission) that recognises and exploits the distinctive roles and strengths of the new organization’s members;
- Identify a set of results-oriented objectives that relate to achieving the organization’s vision and mission;
- Set out the organization’s core values and working principles;
- Outline a set of strategic priorities and related activities and partnerships that address important issues for science where the organization has unique potential, and which are relevant to the interests and priorities of its members; and
- Outline the organization’s communications, management and resource needs and priorities.
The SWG’s strategic proposals should be at an appropriate level, i.e. sufficiently specific to provide a clear framework for the substantive development of the new organization, but not so specific that they limit the creativity of members and a new joint Executive in identifying particular projects that are imaginative, important, timely and deliverable.
The strategy will draw on the results of the strategy development work undertaken to date by ICSU and ISSC with the support of Firetail Consultancy.
b). Timeline and work flow
The anticipated timeline and proposed work flow for the development of a strategy is as follows:
December 2016 – February 2017: Preparation of first draft by SWG, involving:
- Preparation and circulation to SWG of relevant background documentation and “straw-man” strategy based on existing analyses and strategy development work already undertaken by ICSU and ISSC Secretariats
- 1.5 Day SWG workshop discussion with invitees, followed immediately by a 1.5 day SWG meeting, culminating in a first draft strategy
- Finalisation of draft by correspondence
February – March 2017: Approval of draft strategy by ICSU and ISSC Executives
March – April 2017: Submission of draft strategy and request for feedback from members of ISSC and ICSU
May 2017: Review of members’ feedback and preparation of final draft by SWG, involving:
- SWG meeting or teleconference
- Finalisation of document by correspondence
June 2017: Approval of final draft strategy by ICSU and ISSC Executives
July 2017: Submission of final draft strategy to members
The SWG will meet at least once, and possibly twice, before the end of June 2017. In addition to attending meetings, SWG members will be expected to work via teleconferences and email correspondence.
The work of the SWG will be supported by a dedicated team of staff from the ISSC and ICSU Secretariats, including the Executive Directors of both organisations.
Governance arrangements and work methods
In view of the commitments made by the leadership of ICSU and ISSC in Oslo, the Transition Task Force (TTF) and SWG will be requested to work in a transparent and inclusive manner, recognising that the success of the transition planning process will depend on strong accountability, including effective communication with and engagement of the members of ISSC and ICSU.
A Conflict of Interest policy to be agreed between ICSU and ISSC shall apply to the work of both the TTF and the SWG.
Both the TTF and SWG will report to the ICSU and ISSC Executives who will assume responsibility for approving and submitting draft and final versions of TTF and SWG outputs to ISSC and ICSU members, and receiving their feedback.
As already indicated, the TTF will be co-chaired by the ISSC and ICSU Presidents. The work of the TTF will be facilitated by Khotso Mokhele, previous ICSU Vice-President for Scientific Planning and Review, and previous member of the ISSC Committee for Developing and Transition Economies. The SWG will be co-chaired by Jinghai Li (ICSU Vice-President) and Saths Cooper (ISSC Vice-President).
Teams comprising members of the ICSU and ISSC Secretariats and led by the Executive Directors of both organizations will support the overall transition planning process. Four teams will be established for this purpose:
- A Transition Task Force (TTF) Support Team
- A Strategy Working Group (SWG) Support Team
- A Transition Communications Team
- A General Assembly 2017 Team